In the Name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful
GUIDELINES FOR MUSLIMS TO LIVE IN LIBERAL SOCITIES
[Shamim A Siddiqi,
Millions of immigrant
Muslims are residing in the
Now there is a clash between the
urges of their fathers and forefathers who naturally want to sustain their
progenies in an Islamic environment to nurture in them Islamic values and
etiquette whereas the younger generation is inclined to live a life with no or
little restrictions as they see around
them, an atmosphere that is free for all. This tussle is a silent bone
of contention of each Muslim home. The “life style” has become a headache and a
cronic cause of dissension more or less in each family. Some families have
adjusted to live with both the values in a very “clumsy” way; some have become modern and some more are becoming
“ultra-modern” whereas, in reaction, some are trying to live a life bearing with
“orthodox” practices and still some are
planning “unsuccessfully” to go back to their countries of origin. There is a
clear urge amongst Muslim brothers and sisters to live in
Is there any “balance way” to put
restrain to this “free-fall” or any “check” for the Muslim families from being
diluted in the melting pot of American culture and civilization within a few
decades? It had happened with Kurdish families who came with Mullah Mustafa Berzani
in thousands, settled in Younker, NY in mid forties of last century and they
have now lost all traces even their Muslim name and nomenclature. At least I
was not prepared for this catastrophic end of Muslims in
1. Clean your house from the distractive objects of this society, making a model house to live in for your children so they have something to compare with from outside, giving always the impression that your sweet home and its environment is the best model for them to live in and feel proud of it.
2. You and your wife should try your utmost to present your life as models of Islamic character for children to follow and cherish in action, deeds and behavior.
3. Check every day what children are learning in school/colleges and outside and see that nothing goes in their habit, manner or language that Islam does not permit in any way. Try to wash the bad influence out with Sabr, Hikmah and persuasion.
4. Hold a weekly meetings in your home with wife, children and other inmates if any, at appointed time, day and hour. You preside and teach them Islam in their language from the Qur'an, stories from Prophet's (S) and his beloved companion's life, some Adab [manners] on regular basis and then share with them your house affairs as if your weekend meeting has now become a parliament house with free approach for every one to give in.
Following this process meticulously on regular basis will change the life pattern of each child through, building in him or her a self-reliance independence, Islamically motivated and promising trustworthy character with the growth of time, Insha Allah.
5. Involve yourself actively in Dawah activities and get your outside environment clean and if you do not do this job of cleaning “outside” your home, the dirt of the society will creep into your house. The cleaning job - inside and outside the house, is a simultaneous phenomenon and must be done with joint and concerted efforts on collective basis with like minded brothers and sisters as alone you cannot do it. [My book: “The Commitment” will help you a lot in this respect as how to do it. It is available on my Website: WWW.dawahinamericas.com ]
6. Always you and your wife, both pray to Allah (SWT) in the morning hours of night for His help and Nusrah and it will come direct to your family, Insha Allah and you will feel it.
This is the way, Alhamdulillah, I have worked in the
I pray to Allah to save all of us from the evil effects of liberal societies and give us Tawfeeq to transform each of our house as “Model Muslim Homes” to serve as beacons of light and guidance to the people of land, the best way to introduce and spread the Deen of Allah in our respective countries. Amen!
Shamim A Siddiqi
February, 14, 2006